Background Decision-making in intraductal papillary mucinous neoplasms (IPMNs) of the pancreas depends on scaling the risk of malignancy with the surgical burden of a pancreatectomy. This study aimed to develop a preoperative, disease-specific tool to predict surgical morbidity for IPMNs. Methods Based on preoperative variables of resected IPMNs at two high-volume institutions, classification tree analysis was applied to derive a predictive model identifying the risk factors for major morbidity (Clavien-Dindo >= 3) and postoperative pancreatic insufficiency. Results Among 524 patients, 289 (55.2%) underwent pancreaticoduodenectomy (PD), 144 (27.5%) underwent distal pancreatectomy (DP), and 91 (17.4%) underwent total pancreatectomy (TP) for main-duct (18.7%), branch-duct (12.6%), or mixed-type (68.7%) IPMN. For 98 (18.7%) of the patients, major morbidity developed. The classification tree distinguished different probabilities of major complications based on the type of surgery (area under the surve [AUC] 0.70; 95% confidence interval [CI], 0.63-0.77). Among the DP patients, the presence of preoperative diabetes identified two risk classes with respective probabilities of 5% and 25% for the development of major morbidity, whereas among the PD/TP patients, three different classes with respective probabilities of 15%, 20%, and 36% were identified according to age and body mass index (BMI). Overall, history of diabetes, age, and cyst size segregated three different risk classes for new-onset/worsening diabetes. Conclusions In presumed IPMNs, the disease-specific risk of major morbidity and pancreatic insufficiency can be determined in the preoperative setting and used to personalize the possible surgical indication. Age and overweight status in case of PD/TP and diabetes in case of DP tip the scale toward less aggressive clinical management in the absence of features suggestive for malignancy.

Surgery for Intraductal Papillary Mucinous Neoplasms of the Pancreas: Preoperative Factors Tipping the Scale of Decision-Making

Crippa, Stefano;Rancoita, Paola M V;Belfiori, Giulio;Aleotti, Francesca;Partelli, Stefano;Falconi, Massimo;
2022

Abstract

Background Decision-making in intraductal papillary mucinous neoplasms (IPMNs) of the pancreas depends on scaling the risk of malignancy with the surgical burden of a pancreatectomy. This study aimed to develop a preoperative, disease-specific tool to predict surgical morbidity for IPMNs. Methods Based on preoperative variables of resected IPMNs at two high-volume institutions, classification tree analysis was applied to derive a predictive model identifying the risk factors for major morbidity (Clavien-Dindo >= 3) and postoperative pancreatic insufficiency. Results Among 524 patients, 289 (55.2%) underwent pancreaticoduodenectomy (PD), 144 (27.5%) underwent distal pancreatectomy (DP), and 91 (17.4%) underwent total pancreatectomy (TP) for main-duct (18.7%), branch-duct (12.6%), or mixed-type (68.7%) IPMN. For 98 (18.7%) of the patients, major morbidity developed. The classification tree distinguished different probabilities of major complications based on the type of surgery (area under the surve [AUC] 0.70; 95% confidence interval [CI], 0.63-0.77). Among the DP patients, the presence of preoperative diabetes identified two risk classes with respective probabilities of 5% and 25% for the development of major morbidity, whereas among the PD/TP patients, three different classes with respective probabilities of 15%, 20%, and 36% were identified according to age and body mass index (BMI). Overall, history of diabetes, age, and cyst size segregated three different risk classes for new-onset/worsening diabetes. Conclusions In presumed IPMNs, the disease-specific risk of major morbidity and pancreatic insufficiency can be determined in the preoperative setting and used to personalize the possible surgical indication. Age and overweight status in case of PD/TP and diabetes in case of DP tip the scale toward less aggressive clinical management in the absence of features suggestive for malignancy.
Humans
Pancreas
Pancreatectomy
Retrospective Studies
Carcinoma, Pancreatic Ductal
Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency
Pancreatic Intraductal Neoplasms
Pancreatic Neoplasms
File in questo prodotto:
Non ci sono file associati a questo prodotto.

I documenti in IRIS sono protetti da copyright e tutti i diritti sono riservati, salvo diversa indicazione.

Utilizza questo identificativo per citare o creare un link a questo documento: https://hdl.handle.net/20.500.11768/132029
Citazioni
  • ???jsp.display-item.citation.pmc??? ND
  • Scopus 3
  • ???jsp.display-item.citation.isi??? 3
social impact