OBJECTIVES: With the expanding use of cardiac implantable electronic devices (CIEDs), lead interference with the tricuspid valve (TV) causing significant tricuspid regurgitation (TR) has gained increasing recognition. However, current knowledge about the long-term results of the surgical treatment of TR in this setting is scanty. Therefore, increasing this information was the goal of this study.METHODS: A retrospective review of our institutional database was carried out to select all patients with previously implanted CIEDs who underwent tricuspid valve repair and replacement from 2000 through 2019. Kaplan-Meier methods were used to analyse long-term survival. To describe the time course of TR, we performed a longitudinal analysis using generalized estimating equations.RESULTS: A total of 151 patients were identified. Mechanical interference with leaflet mobility and coaptation was detected in 103 patients (68%) (CIED-induced group); in the remaining 48 patients (32%), the lead was associated with TR without being the cause of it (CIED-associated group). A total of 105 patients underwent TV repair; in the remaining 46, a TV replacement was necessary. In patients who underwent TV repair, no significant difference in moderate TR recurrence rate was highlighted between CIED-induced and CIED-associated TR.CONCLUSIONS: In patients with CIEDs and surgically treated tricuspid regurgitation, TR is CIED-induced in about two-thirds of the cases and CIED-associated in one-third of them. In our experience, TV repair was still possible in 63% of the cases, with good long-term results and no significant durability difference between CIED-induced and CIED-associated TR.

Surgical treatment of tricuspid valve regurgitation in patients with cardiac implantable electronic devices: long-term results

Sala, Alessandra;Castiglioni, Alessandro;Alfieri, Ottavio;Maisano, Francesco;De Bonis, Michele
2022

Abstract

OBJECTIVES: With the expanding use of cardiac implantable electronic devices (CIEDs), lead interference with the tricuspid valve (TV) causing significant tricuspid regurgitation (TR) has gained increasing recognition. However, current knowledge about the long-term results of the surgical treatment of TR in this setting is scanty. Therefore, increasing this information was the goal of this study.METHODS: A retrospective review of our institutional database was carried out to select all patients with previously implanted CIEDs who underwent tricuspid valve repair and replacement from 2000 through 2019. Kaplan-Meier methods were used to analyse long-term survival. To describe the time course of TR, we performed a longitudinal analysis using generalized estimating equations.RESULTS: A total of 151 patients were identified. Mechanical interference with leaflet mobility and coaptation was detected in 103 patients (68%) (CIED-induced group); in the remaining 48 patients (32%), the lead was associated with TR without being the cause of it (CIED-associated group). A total of 105 patients underwent TV repair; in the remaining 46, a TV replacement was necessary. In patients who underwent TV repair, no significant difference in moderate TR recurrence rate was highlighted between CIED-induced and CIED-associated TR.CONCLUSIONS: In patients with CIEDs and surgically treated tricuspid regurgitation, TR is CIED-induced in about two-thirds of the cases and CIED-associated in one-third of them. In our experience, TV repair was still possible in 63% of the cases, with good long-term results and no significant durability difference between CIED-induced and CIED-associated TR.
CIEDs induced TR
cardiac implantable electronic device
tricuspid regurgitation
tricuspid valve repair
tricuspid valve replacement
Electronics
Humans
Retrospective Studies
Risk Factors
Treatment Outcome
Tricuspid Valve
Cardiac Surgical Procedures
Tricuspid Valve Insufficiency
File in questo prodotto:
Non ci sono file associati a questo prodotto.

I documenti in IRIS sono protetti da copyright e tutti i diritti sono riservati, salvo diversa indicazione.

Utilizza questo identificativo per citare o creare un link a questo documento: https://hdl.handle.net/20.500.11768/132255
Citazioni
  • ???jsp.display-item.citation.pmc??? ND
  • Scopus 0
  • ???jsp.display-item.citation.isi??? 0
social impact