Background: The high safety of homologous blood components, together with the introduction of the Patient Blood Management strategy, has led to the progressive abandonment of preoperative autologous blood donation (PAD) in surgery. Furthermore, recent scientific publications provide evidence about the non-usefulness of PAD in the collection of hematopoietic stem cells (HSC) from bone marrow (BM), also in consideration of harvest procedure safety. Nevertheless, no conclusive studies have been published yet. Materials and methods: Blood Establishments (BE) and Bone Marrow Collection Centers (BMCC) participated in a specific qualitative survey proposed by Italian National Blood and Transplant centers with the support of the relevant Italian Scientific Societies. The survey aimed at evaluating the policy adopted for PAD in related and unrelated adult HSC donors in Italy during the period 2018-2020. Results: Forty-one BE corresponding to 37 BMCC filled in the questionnaire. Of 830 BM donors, 661 (80%) underwent 1063 PAD (mean 1.6 PAD/donor). The remaining 169 donors (20%) underwent BM harvest without PAD. No serious adverse events were reported for either donor group. In the case of ineligibility of donors for the PAD program, due to low hemoglobin values, 7/10 centers shifted donors to peripheral blood stem cell collection and three centers chose a different donor. Remarkably, only 51% of the PAD units requested were eventually transfused during the BM harvest process. Finally, the iron support policy among centers was heterogeneous. Discussion: The results of this survey show that PAD is heterogeneously applied in Italian BMCC, as in other countries. However, all BMCC except two are willing to adopt a Patient Blood Management strategy as an alternative approach to adult related and unrelated BM donor harvests.
A survey on preoperative autologous blood donation policy in bone marrow stem cell donors in Italy / Del Fante, Claudia; Masiello, Francesca; Vaglio, Stefania; Lombardini, Letizia; Coluzzi, Serelina; Rondinelli, Maria B; Ciceri, Fabio; Pupella, Simonetta; De Angelis, Vincenzo. - In: BLOOD TRANSFUSION. - ISSN 2385-2070. - (2023). [10.2450/2022.0134-22]