Purpose To assess the rate of occurrence and the risk factors of postsurgical macular edema (PSME) in eyes with idiopathic epiretinal membrane (iERM) or full-thickness macular hole (FTMH). Methods Retrospective longitudinal analysis of all subjects scheduled for vitrectomy with or without combined cataract surgery over a 6-month period. Electronic medical charts and imaging data were analyzed preoperatively and at 1, 3 and 6 months after surgery. Results From 101 patients diagnosed with iERM or FTMH, 71 patients were eligible for the study. Forty-nine eyes with iERM (69.0%) and 22 eyes with FTMH (31.0%) underwent vitrectomy either isolated (31.0%) or combined with cataract extraction (69.0%). The overall rate of PSME was 26.7%, without differences between the two groups (P = 0.9479). Combined cataract extraction did not affect the overall occurrence of PSME rate in both groups (P = 0.9255 in FTMH and P = 0.8658 in iERM). If grouped by stage, eyes with stage 4 iERM though disclosed an increased rate of PSME (57.1%) compared to lower (1 to 3) stages (14.3%, P = 0.0021), particularly when combined with cataract surgery (71.4% vs. 15.4% in stages <= 3, P = 0.0021). The PSME odds ratio for a stage 4 iERM is 8 (95% CI: 1.933-33.1; P = 0.0041) compared to stages 3 and below. Conclusions PSME remains a clinically relevant and frequent event after surgery for iERM and FTMH. Patients with stage 4 iERM have an 8-fold higher likelihood of developing PSME in a 6-month postsurgical period compared to iERM in 1-3 stages, especially when combined with cataract extraction.

Increased risk of postsurgical macular edema in high stage idiopathic epiretinal membranes / Iuliano, Lorenzo; Cisa di Gresy, Gloria; Fogliato, Giovanni; Corbelli, Eleonora; Bandello, Francesco; Codenotti, Marco. - In: EYE AND VISION. - ISSN 2326-0254. - 8:1(2021), p. 29. [10.1186/s40662-021-00252-4]

Increased risk of postsurgical macular edema in high stage idiopathic epiretinal membranes

Cisa di Gresy, Gloria
Secondo
;
Bandello, Francesco
Penultimo
;
2021-01-01

Abstract

Purpose To assess the rate of occurrence and the risk factors of postsurgical macular edema (PSME) in eyes with idiopathic epiretinal membrane (iERM) or full-thickness macular hole (FTMH). Methods Retrospective longitudinal analysis of all subjects scheduled for vitrectomy with or without combined cataract surgery over a 6-month period. Electronic medical charts and imaging data were analyzed preoperatively and at 1, 3 and 6 months after surgery. Results From 101 patients diagnosed with iERM or FTMH, 71 patients were eligible for the study. Forty-nine eyes with iERM (69.0%) and 22 eyes with FTMH (31.0%) underwent vitrectomy either isolated (31.0%) or combined with cataract extraction (69.0%). The overall rate of PSME was 26.7%, without differences between the two groups (P = 0.9479). Combined cataract extraction did not affect the overall occurrence of PSME rate in both groups (P = 0.9255 in FTMH and P = 0.8658 in iERM). If grouped by stage, eyes with stage 4 iERM though disclosed an increased rate of PSME (57.1%) compared to lower (1 to 3) stages (14.3%, P = 0.0021), particularly when combined with cataract surgery (71.4% vs. 15.4% in stages <= 3, P = 0.0021). The PSME odds ratio for a stage 4 iERM is 8 (95% CI: 1.933-33.1; P = 0.0041) compared to stages 3 and below. Conclusions PSME remains a clinically relevant and frequent event after surgery for iERM and FTMH. Patients with stage 4 iERM have an 8-fold higher likelihood of developing PSME in a 6-month postsurgical period compared to iERM in 1-3 stages, especially when combined with cataract extraction.
2021
Epiretinal membrane
Macular edema
Macular hole
Postsurgical macular edema
Vitrectomy
File in questo prodotto:
Non ci sono file associati a questo prodotto.

I documenti in IRIS sono protetti da copyright e tutti i diritti sono riservati, salvo diversa indicazione.

Utilizza questo identificativo per citare o creare un link a questo documento: https://hdl.handle.net/20.500.11768/149249
Citazioni
  • ???jsp.display-item.citation.pmc??? 2
  • Scopus 7
  • ???jsp.display-item.citation.isi??? 6
social impact